All,

Came across this awesome java mobile app GPSMid [1] after planemad tweeted
about it. This app can take OSM data and hold it in the form of midlet and
provide routing. It can position using Cell ID. So positioning / navigation
on any phone which has j2me support / some memory without GPS / GPRS.

For folks with GPRS, it can also live edit OSM which i think will be of
immense use to us to quickly add a POI / name an unnamed street. One needs
to create the midlet for the area they are interested from planet.osm file /
XAPI requests using osm2gpsmid [2] (fairly simple) and install them on the
mobile to start mapping on their mobiles. (I thought it was only possible by
the folks with iPhone and mapzen, but now poorer folks too can :) )

[1] http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net
[2] http://gpsmid.sourceforge.net/osmtogpsmid.html
--
Regards