Re transliterations of proper nouns, these would not always be appropriate
surely. Tamil for the town generally called Dharmapuri or equivalent in
most other languages would (I believe) transliterate as Tharmapuri?

The wiki is saying that it would be a bad idea to have multiple
transliterations - not translations. But if you can translate 'police
station + place name' into multiple language it is of course reasonable to
add them, especially for major cities with several substantial language
communities.

Sorry, it should have been iso15919
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15919>.