Hi All,

I don't know how many of you followed what went down with what3words and
mongolia post to give addresses similar to geohash but with a closed
algorithm and what3words having the rights to it to let private players use
their API's for profit. It was a typical case of pushing closed algorithms
on public systems not suitable in a democracy.

Well i now have the first potential such case scenario in India. Hyderabad
GHMC wants to have so called smart addressing through a PPP model and I am
seriously concerned what will happen to all geo databases with closed
numbering systems. Here is the tender document
http://www.ghmc.gov.in/tender%20pdfs/GHMC.DDN.RFP-8-11-16.pdf

On a side note, we will be having GeoHYD around 10/11th of this month, will
be announced in a day or two.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
www.lostprogrammer.com