Reading the norwegian discussion this seems to be a straight forward improvement, I'm in favor of this change.

Þann 10.04.2018 13:16, Fredrik reit:
God dag islendinger,

I have thought of sending this email for some time, so here it is.

There are about 120 natural=fjords in OSM and most of them are around
Iceland. See https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/xLM

Would any of you object if I change these natural=fjords to
natural=bay and add bay=fjord? Or possibly if someone at Iceland can
fix this?

There was some discussion about this at the Norwegian list in 2016
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Flists.nuug.no%2Fpipermail%2Fkart%2F2016-January%2F005860.html&edit-text=&act=url
.

The result was an agreement that fjord is a subtype of bay and instead
of fighting to get fjords rendered in the map tagging them as
suggested here would fix everything.

There is a github issue open for the default map style (carto)
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/788 related
to rendering fjords

/FredrikLindseth

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:FredrikLindseth