Hi Andrew,

This is good news. I work for Já (based in Reykjavík) and we also have an
interest in improving OpenStreetMap data in Iceland, although our changes have
been ad hoc rather than structured.

The OSM data we've used so far has focused on the road network and building
geometries. As you say, from this perspective the data is mostly complete, but
there are some things that could be fixed. Roughly, if we split the country
into three parts we have Reykjavík and its surrounding municipalities, the
rural areas and smaller towns that ring the coast, and the uninhabited central
highlands. The data for Reykjavík is generally excellent, so I would think it's
the rural/uninhabited areas where most improvements could be made. (Even this
data is very good though.)

One example we've seen in the small towns and rural areas are misaligned roads.
They might only be a few metres from their real position, but when you have
parallel roads in close proximity to one another this can cause GPS coordinates
to place you on the wrong road. Likewise with misaligned or inaccurate building
outlines — important to us since we use them to decide which points along the
road network are visible from a given location.

Then there's the central highlands. The gravel road network here is only
accessible during the summer and many roads require a four-wheel drive if
you're driving. I haven't looked much into the data here, but I have an inkling
that very useful improvements could be made — surface tags especially, but also
additional routes, accessibility, and road numbers. I'd love to see more detail
added here.

As for external data, up-to-date imports from the Staðfangaskrá and LUKR
datasets would be great. The latter is the land information system for
Reykjavík and surrounding municipalities, and it's extraordinarily detailed
(down to the road markings painted on roads). Both datasets were imported into
OSM a long time ago and I don't think they've been revisited since.

I've tried and failed to keep this short, but if you want more information
please get in touch via email or on this list.

M.

PS. While you're here, there's an error in the Reykjavík coastline in Apple
Maps that's always irritated me. Compare these:

- https://maps.apple.com/?ll=64.1509,-21.9142
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/64.1509/-21.9142

--
Matt Riggott