Assuming it's OK to use the map:

1. Use mapwarper http://wrp.geothings.net/
  rectify the map via mapwarper's interface, and grab the wms link
which you can paste to josm wms plugin.  You now have a new wms for
your map.
  Mapwarper wms is OK if you have reliable internet connection (which
I don't have so I use option 2)

2. Download the warped image (rectified) from mapwarper, Then setup a
local webmapserver using mapserver http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/ and
fetch the image using wms plugin of JOSM (you can easily do this since
you're a linuz geek ;))

cheers,
maning

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Jim Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK, and as I've been dying to ask this question somewhere, I'm going to flood
> the mailing list with an impossible two posts in the space of an hour.
>
> I'm assuming the maps on Wikipedia are open source. I used to live in Hong
> Kong and here's an example from there which I'm particularly keen to use.
>        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Discovery_bay_map.svg
>
> The license says "Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify
> this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version
> 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
> Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of
> the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation
> License"."
>
> OK well assuming I can use this, I can't really figure out how to do it. I
> thought there might be a way to load it into JOSM as a background, and then
> trace it. However it seems I need a Mapping Server to do this. I toyed with
> the idea of setting up my own mapping server, but that seemed like trying to
> crack a nut with a sledgehammer, so I thought I'd ask the group. What's the
> best way to go about this? Assuming that the map is OK to use of course.
>
> Jim

| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |
| '-._"7' |"Freedom is still the most radical idea of all" -N.Branden|
|  /'.-c  |Linux registered user #402901, http://counter.li.org/     |
|  |  /T  |http://esambale.wikispaces.com/ |
| _)_/L I http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/ |