I suggest to place the node in the town/city proper, which is not the
geographical center and not always where the city or town hall is. The
city/town proper is basically where the town plaza or poblacion area is.
Usually, it's where the church or public market is.

For example, the Las Pinas city hall is here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=14.4496929645538&mlon=120.982496738434&zoom=14

But I placed the Las Pinas place=city node in the poblacion area, where the
plaza and the main church (home of the famous Bamboo Organ) is:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=14.4809997081757&mlon=120.981595516205&zoom=14

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com