it's possible that it can improve, or may in fact worsen the routing
computation (as far as time of estimated arrival of arrival is
concerned) , depending on the speed assignment of trunk (or primary).

if all trunk within the philippines have the same speed assignment,
then routing will definitely worsen. Doesn't make a difference whether
it's a Primary Road. Primary can go as slow as 25kmh (on the average
at daytime in many poblacion), but can safely be assigned 80-100kph in
rural areas. IMHO, trunk or primary assignment of a road will not
matter that much as far as routing is concerned, unless we find a
practical way to assign different general "speed levels" if trunk or
primary enters a poblacion, or if it runs on medium-speed open road,
or highway speed.

example: Pan-Philippine Highway (also known as Marcos Highway,
internationally known as AH26). If this connects many regions from
Luzon to Mindanao, then I think it is safe to say that the "entire"
AH26 (including all segments) can be safely defined as trunk in OSM
(so that when you zoom out the map in most navigation maps, you will
see that the philippines is connected north-to-south), because trunk
is generally the last to disappear from the navigation map .

By careful observation: the same AH26 trunk road road passes MacArthur
bridge in Manila, then through the narrow crawling speed of Carriedo
Street, and run along the slow-paced Rizal Avenue, all the way to
Monumento, where it follows MacArthur Highway (ranging from slow to
fast speed), then turns to Dona Remedios Highway passing numerous
rural highways all the way to the upper tip of Luzon.

Clearly in the Philippines, 'trunk road' cannot be defined by basis of
width or speed or quality of road. (it all depends on the budget &
time of project completion).

my simple impression of a trunk road, is the 'road of choice' when you
want to get from one region to another when you are looking at a
general map. it acts as a corridor. My opinion maybe biased: Trunk
defines the shape of a region, if not the whole philippines
(road-wise), but it makes sense to me that my definition is different
in rural settings and in urban area.

Rural: trunk road (as i earlier stated, (is a major/primary road) that
normally crosses the provincial boundary) - of course a little common
sense is required.  :-)

Urban: trunk road may be composed of a system of connected roads
(described in one wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_roads_in_Metro_Manila ). Some may
already be considered major roads, some still being negotiated for
right-of-way by the government. It was previously assigned either
Radial Roads or Circumferential Roads (or sometimes called beltways).

Example: by assigning a common highway code C-5 to Tandang Sora,
Katipunan, E Rodriguez Jr,  and the rest of CP Garcia Ave, they become
treated as one road known as C-5 (at least to locals). Although right
now, it is slowly turning to a freeway (by defition: fewer exits,
U-turns and Stop lights). C-5 does not connect regions, but it
connects a lot of major cities (but it is a trunk). Same case with C-4
(EDSA).

If the description on wiki is correct, the Radial Roads 9 (which also
passes Maharlika Highway AH26), coming from the heart of Manila, goes
all the way to La Union via MacArthur Highway (roughly 214km).

R-6 which starts from R.Magsaysay, connects to Aurora Blvd, connects
to Marcos Highway (Marikina Infanta Road). R-6 connects Manila (NCR),
to Rizal, to Laguna, then to Quezon Province (roughly 125km). We don't
treat our trunks on per specific road name basis, but per 'system of
road' basis. R-1 R-2 R-3 C3- C-4 C-5 although not fully finished are
sort of system.

there's a zoomed-out image at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_roads_in_Metro_Manila

if you looked at all the major roads defined (by whoever wrote that
wiki) gives meaningful information. it's both functional and
beautiful. :-) it says that how NCR is connected, and how it's
connected to other regions, to the north, to the south and to the
east.

if we tag road by function only, it will look ugly (lots of
disconnected roads) ;-)

I'm one of those pushing for tagging of trunk of some previously
defined primary roads, it is not without basis, it's just that the
definition of trunk is really loose. (let's use the said wiki for a
start + combined with common sense, since some of them are not yet
finished)

Going back to the connected "provincial roads" of Pan-Philippine
Highway (AH26) (with numerous 'local names' along it's length). We
cannot be selective with AH26 in treating it as a trunk in it's
entirety (same with the gloria project Nautical Highway), regardless
of speed, width or road condition. They are all major government
projects.

The more we inform the public (thru map making) the existence of these
long-term road projects, the more funding it gets, the faster they
finish. We can just tag that the particular section is under
construction, or still unpaved, or whatever :-)

As far as routing is concerned, this will be a headache (no doubt). We
treat each road section individually. After all, OSM is collecting gps
tracks. The actual average speed on particular section can someday be
extracted.