This is called "cognitive surplus" by Clay Shirky.[1][2] He has estimated
that the time spent to create all of Wikipedia (circa 2008) (including all
of the behind-the-scene drama and in every language edition), which is about
100 million hours, is about the same amount of time Americans spend just
*one* weekend watching TV commercials.

So yes, all that hours people spend playing Farmville would do wonders when
redirected to something "more worthy" like OSM. :-)

But we are not really in a hurry, and Clay Shirky made me realize that
there's a huge surplus of this cognitive resource. There's plenty of time to
make OSM awesome. We just do it by convincing one passionate person to join
OSM one at a time.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=clay+shirky+cognitive+surplus
[2]
http://www.shirky.com/herecomeseverybody/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html