Dear ax,

Some people find it useful, some don't.  For me, the garmin map is
more of a debugging tool rather than a navigation gadget (I can find
my way even without a GPS given enough travel preparations).
Moreover, search in mkgmap doesn't really work well right now.
Therefore, you can't use the "search by State" in most garmin devices
with OSM/mkgmap data.

I don't have a strong opinion for or against this in the garmin map.
If others see this as map junk/clutter we can disable it.

--
cheers,
maning