Hi,

Once in a while, I try to send a welcome note to new mappers as I
stumble into their edits.  I think this is a good strategy to inform
the mappers that:
1. their contributions (however small) were appreciated;
2. they can ask questions if they want to.

In some cases, recipients respond and appreciate the message.  Most of
the times, I don't get a response.

I don't know if there are those in the list who do this as well.
Might be good to coordinate efforts in order not overwhelm new users
with unsolicited messages.

Swiss OSM do this too [0].  If you want to know the new editors in the
PH you can check this page [1].  I think some of last week's new
contributors were from Project NOAH's workshop in Iloilo.

[0]  http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SimonPoole/diary/24124
[1] http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/newestosmcountry.php?c=Philippines
--
cheers,