Hi Mathias,
welcome to Portugal!
I already befriended you in OSM and noticed your first edit in Lisboa :-)
I have tried to do some 3d in osm, using the most compatible tags of height
or number of floors. Mostly in Tomar. But i focused in the more urgent need
to get the streets on the map, since Portugal had a late start in OSM
mapping. Now that we have more people mapping maybe is time to get back to
the 3d!
My work in the faculty as focused on 3d survey of buildings and urban areas
with laser scanning and 3d photogrammetry. We have a helium balloon, and
have used remote controled model airplanes and copters.
Our research group is in http://archc3d.fa.utl.pt/archc3d.html (see the
link to the "gallery" that has some samples of the work).
We also have a 3d fabrication lab in the school with cnc router, laser
cutter and 3d printer, and produce nice stuff with it :-)
I will be glad to show more when you visit!