Thanks Roman and Ali (who wrote me directly):

What I understand is that:

   - ilçe is a town, or also a district within a city
   - mahalle is a neighborhood in an ilçe
   - semtler is also a neighborhood, not official or administrative, but
   rather something that residents call the area, most likely from the past
   when they were used as administrative units (neighborhoods)

I would propose for OSM tagging the following schema:

   - ilçe, when indicating an independent town, be tagged as place=town
   - ilçe, when indicating a district of a city (ie the 39 ilçe in
   Istanbul), be tagged as place=suburb
   - mahalle, which fall administratively under the districts, be tagged as
   place=neighbourhood
   - semtler, which are like neighborhoods but not administrative, be
   tagged as place=quarter

Any disagreements/suggestions on this?  I will post in the Facebook group
as well to see what people think there.

My biggest question is whether the ilçe of Istanbul should be tagged as
place=suburb or place=town (as they are now)

~Jeff

Jeff Haack
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
jeff.ha...@hotosm.org