On 15 Jul 2010, at 11:21, Joe Hughes wrote:

Peter,

I think it would be helpful to look at GTFS data from a few diverse providers when testing ideas about imports, as data tends to reflect the historical practices of the particular agency in ways like naming patterns, which details are present, etc. There's a great deal of GTFS data on gtfs-data-exchange.com, but I'd recommend, say, TriMet and Port Authority of Allegheny County in addition to the SFMTA data that you're already examining.

As you mentioned, the street and directional information should be optional, as there are boundary cases like stops in shopping centre parking lots, large station complexes, and underground private ways which might make it difficult to provide reasonable street/direction values. By and large I could see how that information would be useful for snapping stop points to varying road network data sets (setting aside the issue of how to deal with stop points on traffic islands in the centre of the road). In general, though, we should be careful not to depend too much on things which are likely to be available from source data in only some parts of the world. (Consider places where not all roads have agreed-upon names.)

Thanks for your continued efforts on this issue!

It is probably worth clarifying that in osm the only times that one would need the additional bearing or street tags is when there is an element of doubt about which the road is the correct one due to the bus stop being close to a junction or being directly between two close parallel roads.

By contrast as a gtfs data supplier where the final road datasets unknown then it would be advisable to always provide a bearing for on- street stops in case the location of the roads in the roads dataset are offset from the position of the stops in the gtfs dataset due to accumulated positional errors resulting in the stops being positioned on the wrong side of the road.

Regards,

Peter

Cheers,
Joe