Bus stops should be nodes offset slightly from the way (not nodes on the way).

How relations are handled is partly a problem with the editors.
Potlatch 1.4 users (who can't readily order relation members, and who
find it a pain having an excess of relations on a way), tend to do
2-way relations, and sometimes even bundle branches into one big
relation. JOSM users tend towards doing ordered separate one-way
relations, but you do end up with a lot of relations. Lots of
relations is probably conceptually less complicated than child
relations, so I'd probably go for that, editors-allowing.

Richard