Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of tram:type=rubber-tyred

But the main sticking point (at least on the French list) that I've seen
seems to be the word "railway", since tram is defined as a subdivision of
that. ("How can you call it a tram if there's no steel rail?") I'm thinking
that perhaps something like

transitway=tram/bus/train/subway

might be a better tag for dedicated transit ways. (Obviously this would not
work for ways where cars share the space; those would still need a
highway=* tag rather than transitway=*)

By the way, I'm only posing this question because I was helping a newbie
who wanted to do some mapping of trams. I personally stick to mapping buses.

On balance, it seems to me that the tagging should reflect the term used to
publicize the line by the operator, rather than some esoteric technicality
knowable only to civil engineers and wiki readers. This is keeping the end
user in mind. If I am in Lyon and I know there's a tram "somewhere nearby",
but it's tagged as a bus_guideway, my search results will be:

google maps = found
bing maps = found
OSM = zero

... and I will no doubt start grumbling ...

On the other hand, if the operator advertises it as a bus, I'll have no
problem, assuming my search engine will find a bus_guideway (with stops
appropriately tagged as bus=yes).