On Sunday, 19 July 2020 01:26:09 HKT Jarek Piórkowski wrote:

> stop_area does not seem necessary for support in many popular OSM
> transit data consumers (OsmAnd and öpnvkarte/openbusmap come to mind).
> You probably don't have to add them unless something is really unclear
> without it. In particular it doesn't seem very necessary for simple
> cases like 2 stops on either side of the road. (It won't hurt, but
> it's not necessary.)
>
> Reading through (autotranslated) wiki discussion, it does make some
> sense that stop_area is more useful in areas where a number of
> physical halt points share one ref ID. If that's not the case for you,
> probably don't need to bother.

I think stop area is useful to group various "poles" (stands) which belongs to
the same stop. The accepted practice in my region is that each pole is
represented by a separate highway=bus_stop. For example, if there are two
poles, there will be two highway=bus_stop nodes even they are only 1 m apart.
They will have different route_ref= and may even have different names (if they
are really named differently).

Michael

--
Sent from KMail