Karl Newman wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/United_States_roads_tagging or

This one can be disregarded, I wrote it as one of the first guides for
the purpose.  Perhaps someone should update it to match the others.

> here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Road or

This is newer, also initially written by me, and reflects how I tag as
well as the method used on the TIGER import.

> here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway or here:

This one is fairly consistent with that as well.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway_tag_usage or here:

This one includes the fantasy that "the highway tag represents physical
attributes", so I'd be disinclined to follow it.  However, below that
(In the "International equivalence" section) the portion on the US is
consistent with the others.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Highway_tag_usage (that's
> where I put my proposal, username Si liconFiend)

This is consistent with the others as well.

In conclusion, the first link is crap, and all the others are fine.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"