On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 23:23 -0500, Bone Killian wrote:
> > certainly a highway that meets the
> > standards without being designated should be tagged as motorway, but
> as
>
> IMHO the only thing that qualifies a road as a motorway (in the US) is
> the big red and blue signage identifying it as part of the interstate
> highway system.

Have you actually read the highway definition on the map features page?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features

It has zero to do with shiny red signs. :)

In fact, there are even stretches of interstate in this country which
aren't technically motorways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_93 :

> I-93 passes through Franconia Notch State Park as a Super-2 parkway,
> the only instance of a two-lane Interstate highway in the United
> States. This stretch carries a 45 mile per hour speed limit. For the
> trip through Franconia Notch, I-93 and U.S. Route 3 run concurrently.

-- Dave