> As someone said, it's possible that Garmin would consider OSM a potential
> competitor,

> however that's not certain and it does us no harm to try.

OSM would be a competitor to Navteq or Tele Atlas, I'd think - not Garmin.
Which makes me curious - Garmin may get a small profit for repackaging the
Navteq data for their device.  If someone repackaged OSM data, could they build
some sort of business model around that "repackaging" service - similar to the
way Redhat makes money off Linux?

With Tom Tom owning Tele Atlas, and Nokia owning Navteq, I'd think it would be
in Garmin's best interest in promoting potential alternatives.  OSM has a way
to go to be in that position, but Garmin could easily be motivated to make some
bet on it.