On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:43:00AM -0800, Spencer Riddile wrote:
> The town of Blacksburg, VA has some GIS data publicly available on a
> website.
>
> There is also U.S. Forest Service data for the George Washington and
> Jefferson National Forest.
>
> I would like to upload some of this to OSM.  Is that OK?  Any
> advice?  Thanks!

"Publicly available" and "PUblic domain" are not the same. I recommend
talking to the city and asking them what their policy is with regard to
their Geodata. (Seattle, for example, publishes data aon the web for
'personal use only', 'not to be used commercially', etc.)

Check with the city, ask them waht they think. They'll pobably love you
for even noticing :)

If you share a link, then we can probably help explore a bit more what
the source of the data nad rights associated with it are.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta