On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> > But I think we
> > need some sort of "find duplicate nodes, and if they match

that was I believe the intention.

> > properties,
> > or just have different massgis import dates, merge them" bot.

or even same date but different time stamp.  This duplication is intrinsic
to the MassGIS format that was imported - each town was a separate dataset.

There are roughly 7.1 million nodes in Massachussetts, and 270k of them
> share the same location as another node. This is just an analysis based
> on location, not on tags, but it can be assumed that most of those 270k
> nodes are not intentionally duplicate.

they are intentionally duplicate in massGIS and uslessly duplicate in OSM
afaik from what Chris has said of the import.

> It is possible that there are
> duplicate ways as well.

not afaik. the vast majority are town border exact matches and probably some
at on ramps.

> > This is  > beyond my clue level presently.

> But it is not a big problem, it is something
> that could be fixed in a day.

I thought Chris had the beginings of a script that would do this.

It is possible that  if Lars, Shankar and I spent some tuits looking at
Frederik's script we could mutate it to do this.  It would be a nice example
for the Boston.PM presentation next month. I think he said it was uploaded
to a git host or somewhere?

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill.n1...@gmail.com