On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Andrew Sawyer <assaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been experiencing what I think to be a error with the rendering of
> islands in Lake Winnepesaki in New Hampshire. I tried copying the tagging
> convention from Lake Champlain (Vermont/NY border), but it seems to render
> the islands incorrectly as small lakes in two of the tiles in the
> middle-bottom of the lake.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.
>
> I have attached the link to the Information Freeware, OSM, and OSM Relation
> Analyzer pages for your convenience.
> http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=43.61625379229798&lon=-71.36002480862106&zoom=12&layers=B0000F000F
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.6329746246338&layers=0B00FTF&lon=-71.3110542297363&zoom=12
> http://betaplace.emaitie.de/webapps.relation-analyzer/analyze.jsp?relationId=63730&useCache=false
>
> Some details about the tagging of the lake:
> There are 9 ways comprising the outer border of the lake with
> "natural:water" as the tag and belong to Relation #63730 with the role of
> "outer" and have a direction of clockwise
> There are 152 self-contained ways (islands) belonging to the relation with
> "natural:land" with the role of "inner" which as far as I know have a
> direction of counter-clockwise
>
> The relation is tagged with the following:
> name:Lake Winnepesaki
> natural:water
> type:multipolygon
>
> I don't know if I edited the lake wrong or its a rendering problem or a
> combination of both.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew S. Sawyer
> http://www.facebook.com/assawyer

If it is indeed tagged as you described, that sounds correct to me.
I'm having a similar issue myself with Salt Fork Lake in Ohio.

I think I once saw a ticket about a similar issue on the OSM trac.
There it was explained that if the upload process took more than 5
minutes, (as can happen with large lakes,) it may not have been
correctly represented by the minutely diffs used to update Mapnik's
copy of the planet.  The solution is to wait for the next planet dump,
which should represent the feature correctly.

So let's wait till Wednesday or so, and if our lakes still don't
render right, we'll head to the trac to complain.

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid

Does this font make me look fat?