Jeff Barlow wrote:

> Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>A Zip Code is a routing code. It doesn't represent geography any more
>>than you can do a 1:1 mapping of iP address to physical location.
>>
>>You can do a "Pretty good" job by simplifying the data, but zip codes
>>are attributes of addresses, not regions.
>>
>>If you want to add these zip codes to objects with addr fields, that
>>would be accurate, but you can't accurately represent a zip code as a
>>region.
>
> Huh... Well, if all that's true then how do you account for the
> fact that many very good commercial printed maps, including the
> wonderful Thomas Guides, have for many years included outlines of
> Zip codes?

I'm not sure why Thomas Guides include them (though I wouldn't exactly
call them wonderful, either; this year's Thomas Guide is easily 10 years
out of date in the Portland area).  Nobody uses the ZIP codes except the
post office.  Truckers certainly don't use 'em, it's easier to look up
the state, city, and street in that order.