> Second, separating out the highway system requires the data consuming
> application to know how to piece things back together.  Otherwise, a
> shield on a map for example with just a "25" in it is pretty limited in
> use.

  After / if a generalized shield solution is in place, a 25 placed on an
'Interstate' shield is quite descriptive.   It avoids the need for the
renderer or consumer to parse out the number.

> Third, I consider a reference containing just the number to be
> incomplete.  IMHO, the ref tag should contain the complete designation
> of a piece of highway.  This also makes it easier to search for this.

  To search, just search for both the network and route tags.  It's just as
though the information was placed in separate database columns.