On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

>> Stop. - Are you saying that osm-professional is intended as a copy of
>> osm-talk just moderated?
>
> I see osm-professional as mainly focusing on a new audience of people
> who currently aren't subscribed to any OSM list, with a focus on
> people using osm in a professional context.
>
> If it's similar to any other list, it'd probably be "newbies"- but
> newbies is really about getting involved in the project in the sense
> of contributing to the project, where I see osm-professional as about
> people who may not want to be individual contributors but still have a
> connection to OSM.

Perhaps "Newbies" is the answer.
Traffic is lower.
We try to restrain ourselves from diving into perpetual tagging, etc.,
discussions.
"Newbies" already has the expectation that questions should be
answered without a dose of "that's a stupid question."
To succeed "Newbies" needs a number of folks willing to answer
questions for folks not already steeped in the culture of OSM.  And a
number of new folks to ask questions.

I think the expectation of acceptable behaviour is in place at
Newbies.  I think the demographics are so similar that no revision of
mandates is required.  The only thing missing is a way to make "new
OSM pros" think that they aren't being treated like "newbies", because
obviously, the are professionals.

ln -s newbies osm-professional   # enh?  See what I did there?