On 10 April 2010 11:07, Richard Finegold <goldfndr+...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 20:32, Val Kartchner <val...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> through
>
> I agree. If a bot can do this then that is evidence that a renderer or
> other data consumer can expand them if desired. But is the bot
> supplying its source of heightened accuracy? Surely the bot isn't
> checking physical signage.

No, its only useful piece of knowledge is that the TIGER ruleset
applies to this data here.  If you had to incorporate in your renderer
such a bot for every one of the 200 countries this wouldn't be fun,
that's why the consensus (according to wiki and discussions on t...@..
and irc) is not to use abbrevs at all. (with some exceptions)

So it really shou;d have done as part of the conversion from TIGER to
osm format.

> but not at lower zooms. There's a claim of "This will allow a renderer
> to introduce abbreviations as necessary." in the wiki, but is it true?
> Does andrzej or someone else have an algorithm that can work with the
> examples in the essay at http://vidthekid.info/misc/osm-abbr.html

No, but it's a good idea, on some weekend I'll set up a mapnik and see
how to get it to display shortened names in US at lower zoom levels.

Cheers