On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We don't dispute the facts. (Taking the South Innerbelt example) the
> freeway is in a shallow valley/cutting, with ramps between the freeway
> and its frontage roads, and cross streets intersecting the frontage
> roads and passing over the freeway.

Those aren't frontage roads.  They're city streets which predate the
freeway, which have been converted to one-way in places, as a
convenience to the ramps.  And a couple of the entrances do not come
from these parallel city streets (those mistaken for "frontage roads")
but directly from north-south streets.  Also, the whole situation is
going to change over the next 10 years as major improvements are made.

> The only dispute is about tagging:
> whether it's appropriate to use layer=-1 for that. Of course, if the
> freeway is layer=-1, a drainpipe that passes under the freeway would
> need layer=-2.

That wouldn't be hard to do, if the drainpipe could be considered
"verifiable"...

> And a landuse polygon would need layer=-1 only where
> the freeway is such, and layer=0 on both sides, or otherwise, if
> continuous, it would be referring to land on a structure above the
> freeway or land under the other streets.

Landuse polygons and the like should NOT have layer tags.  They are to
be drawn by the renderers BELOW linear features, even if those linear
features have negative layer values.  Osmarender screws this up, but
nobody with the necessary understanding of XSLT and how Osmarender
uses it has been willing to fix the problem.

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid

Does this font make me look fat?