The age of the data is definitely an issue. The two websites that Ian Dees
suggested do not agree for the area where I live--they are not even close to
agreeing. Also, there can be serious artifacts of the geocoding process. This
shows in the two websites. It appears that both use data geocoded to my
university's official street address on the road along the south side of
campus. None of the boxes I have mapped in the interior of the campus appears
on either website. There is no box at the "official" street address (been
there, mapped that).

It would be good if there were a complete list somewhere. Even if it were not
public domain, I could check it, verify the locations in the field, and then
map them as direct observations. I've not been able to find good lists for UPS
or FedEx drop boxes either. I would really like to get all of these mapped for
the campus. The websites for these companies do not show all of the boxes I
have mapped from direct observation.

Ed Hillsman

>Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:50:06 -0500
>From: Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Uploading all Post Office Drop Box locations in
>       the US
>To: Kirk Ireson <palmerstat...@gmail.com>
>Cc: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
>
>These sites might also be interesting:
>http://www.payphone-project.com/mailboxes/ and http://www.mailboxmap.com/
>
>On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would say that at least 1/3 of the post office drop boxes nationwide have
>> been removed or pulled out of service since this data has been released,
>> making an import of the data both inaccurate (due to geocoding) and old.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Kirk Ireson <palmerstat...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> I was adding a couple local USPS Post Office drop box locations using
>>> Potlatch when I wondered if there was a public list of locations I could
>>> upload.  I did find that there was a release of 2005 locations that was
>>> released under the Freedom of Information Act.  There are 20 Excel files
>>> ranging from 14,000 to 65,000 lines in length each and it looks like they
>>> do
>>> have all the locations.  I thought it would be a good project for me to
>>> extract/clean up the data and geocode it for upload (only addresses are
>>> given in the files) and so would like to first seek feedback from the
>>> community before proceeding especially with regards to licensing, tagging
>>> and geocoding.
***