On 16 Jun 2010, at 21:26 , Zeke Farwell wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net>
> wrote:
> i think the rendered pseudo-shields probably need to show some reference to
> the network
> the highway is in, otherwise you'd not know what kind of shield you're
> looking for.
>
> Yes, to be clear I was not suggesting that network prefixes are a bad thing
> for a renderer to show, just that I don't think they belong in the ref tag.
> I don't see why a renderer can't use ref and network to display "US 7" or "7"
> on a US shield graphic.

mentioned earlier already. the ref tag is taken by a standardization in osm
worldwide. sure osm is free and everyone is allowed to change things but then
don't expect to get any useful rendering anywhere. it doesn't matter if it's
technically possible. if a different tagging is needed then introduce new tags
or use a namespace like
ref:"don't like the old tag and"=7
don't tag for a specific renderer and more important don't tag against all
existing renderer