On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Greg Troxel <g...@ir.bbn.com> wrote:

>  I've been thinking about this question for a few days.  Maybe the only
>  way to distinguish a trailhead is that it has been designated as this by
>  some trail authority.
>
>  For instance, the Ogden River Parkway
>  (http://weberpathways.org/trails_display.asp?ID=30 ) crosses several
>  streets but only certain places are designated trailheads.  On the West
>  Haven Trail (http://weberpathways.org/trails_display.asp?ID=32 ) the
>  trailhead is located where there is public parking and a paved trail
>  (not a sidewalk) all of the way to the Weber River Parkway.
>
> I am sympathetic to Sam's position that one should simply represent
> what's there (sign boards, parking), and I agree with it.  But we should
> also be able to represent official designations of trailheadedness, or
> the equivalent judgement of locals.

I suppose, when adding the informational sign (or some other mappable
feature) at the trailhead to the trail's route relation, you could
give it a role of "trailhead".  That semantically describes the
situation, though it has the disadvantage that simple POI search
algorithms won't be able to catch it.

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid