On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Regarding Matthew's earlier point ("Agreed. There is no observation
> that will tell you whether a road is more important than another road
> that is not where you are. But you can identify physical
> characteristics.

this is not true. There is plenty of observation to tell the importance. But
this can't be done by armchair mapping. You have to know your area and it
will be crystal clear which roads are more or less important.
local knowledge is key for a good map. OSM is crowd sourcing and not let's
draw some maps from aerial pictures or create a copy of tiger or other free
data. there is no benefit if we use osm just as a container for freely
available data. google is much better in doing so with their massive
capacity and money.
So let's make a better map not a "me too map" and  not try to resolve a
problem which can't be resolved by discussion or an algorithmic approach.
road tagging is never objective. Not in US and not in Europe, and even much
worse in many asian countries. it's a bit more consistent in Europe,  but
even there are many exceptions.