On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Alan Millar <amillar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about this proposal for US streets:
>
> (1) Leave "name" unabbreviated
>
> (2) Put whatever form you want of abbreviated name in "name:en"

I suggest not. We already have an expectation of having the real
English name in name:en.

I would argue that name:en should be the same as name.  (Well, for
most places in US, perhaps not all, we wouldn't translate "Los Angeles
into "The Angels" would we?)  If you wanted to render[1] an all
English map of the world, you'd likely use name:en.  You would likely
be disappointed if the data there was something other than the actual
English name.

[1] I'm not talking about a specific renderer, but any renderer.  In
this case it could be text to speech software for turn-by-turn
announcements, a paper map, tiles, anything where language choice is
important.