On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <j...@ocjtech.us> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
>>> John, Paul and Stefan are all doing mapping on their campuses, and
>>> they haven't given us links. Please show us your good work, gentlemen!
>>
>> Here's what I've done for the community college that I work for:
>>
>> http://osm.org/go/T_c5qPQUA-
>
> Nice stuff.  Do you have any tips to offer new campus-mappers?

I've been lucky to have recent (Apr 2009), high resolution (~0.4ft)
aerial imagery available from the USGS so I've been able to get a lot
done.  So try and find an imagery source that you can use.  Even with
an imagery source you'll want to walk around campus a lot to verify
all those details that can't be spotted from the air (is that dark
blob a bench or a trash bin?).  Other than that, just go out and JFDI.
 Don't wait around for permission, etc.

In my case, I've just been doing this for personal reasons, so I
haven't bothered the guys that maintain the official CAD drawings for
campus.  If this had been a class project or a official project for
the college I would have been bugging them for all the data that they
have on hand.

> That is quite a sport complex north of campus.

Yes it is.  The community's quite proud of it, and I've had some fun
mapping it as well as the rest of the town.  It's around a mile from
my house so it's pretty easy for me to get over there to verify the
details that I can't see from the air.

--
Jeff Ollie