On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.for...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello fellow mappers! for years i have been using my openmoko for my
> gps tracking mapping general screwing around.
> recently the device has lost its ability to read from the SD card so i
> have been viciously limited in the storage i have available for cached
> map tiles. right now i am limited to maybe 150mb, which is tiny for a
> big city like los angeles.
>
> anyhow im wondering if there is a more compressed version of OSM tiles
> out there already?
> i have a local cache on my debian machine that i am attempting to
> batch compress, not really working so far.
> so i am wondering if there is already a url of these types of map tiles.

Bummer about the SD card failure.  :(

You asked about tiles; I think CloudMade has mobile tiles that are
smaller dimensions and fewer colours.  Check with them.

Have you considered using a native .osm file, then rendering on the
device?  You may have to change software but get better results?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/Mobile_phones