AJ,

I'm not disposing of IRC, frankly I use it myself.  I'm just saying
that there are downsides/upsides to both phone calls/email/IRC/IM/etc.
 My real point is that new people probably don't want to argue about
tags in the first place.  Many people come to mapping parties and say
"what do you want me to map?"  Or I've also heard 'I don't care to map
anything in-particular, but I want to help out."  If people really
want to discuss tagging badly enough they will figure out whatever the
form of communication is and deal with it.  Key is coming out of that
communication is a guide that others can use.

-Kate