At 2011-04-08 14:06, Mike N wrote:
On 4/8/2011 1:16 PM, Alan Mintz wrote:

>I would not be averse to something like:
>
>exit_to="CA-247 South"
>
>OR
>
>exit_to_root="CA-247"
>exit_to_dir="South"
>
>Consumers that have evolved can use the second form if it is found, or >the first if it is not. Older consumers can use the first form. Users >that choose not to use the second form can use the first form and it >will work with both old and new consumers.

The point of the most recent change was standardization - consumers should not need to code 2 routines to handle both forms.

One "if" does not two routines make.

  Our tagging guides should be as simple as possible.

Agreed. <sarcasm>Like turn restriction relations. And destination sign relations. And traffic camera relations.</sarcasm>

There is already a good 1 page on motorway_junction. If a non-programmer were to try to enter their information and saw a full second page just to cover parsing rules, they would simply abandon their efforts as too complicated.

If that were the case, I'd agree that a better solution should be found. Is it a full page? Not even close. Perhaps you were referring to my departure from the thread regarding semicolons, which is not at all specific to this group of tags?

  (That already happens too often today with the existing OSM guidelines)

That is hardly the only reason.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>