> From: David Turner <nova...@novalis.org>
>
> Like any router, OTP requires clear rules for whether a cyclist or a
> pedestrian may use a way.  But OTP does not restrict what tags are used
> to define these rules.  That is configurable on a per-install basis.
> So, if Portland are OSM editors decide that highway=cycleway means
> bicycles and pedestrians can use the way, that's totally cool.
> Meanwhile, if in some other area (San Diego, say) highway=cycleway means
> strictly bicycles only, then OTP users in San Diego can configure their
> version that way.
>
> tl;dr: make any locally consistent decision based one what's best for
> the map and don't panic about OTP.

So for example, if I'm visiting San Diego and want to plan a trip from
my hotel to the zoo, I have to first track down the website that
understands the local tagging conventions because San Diegoans decided
to tag things differently from Des Moinesians?  Or even worse, will I
be able to find an iPhone or Android app that knows how to route in
San Diego using OpenStreetMap data?

How does that do anything but drive traffic to Google Maps and hurt
people like MapQuest?

Note, this isn't a criticism of OpenTripPlanner - I think it's great
that their routing engine is so configurable.

This IS a criticism of people that believe that tags shouldn't have a
globally consistent meaning.

--
Jeff Ollie