Update on the meeting.

We had 6 people attend. I was really only expecting about 3. Out of the 6, two of us were very familiar with OSM. The other four had no experience. I gave them a brief run through of OpenStreetMap - past, present, and who, what, why. I asked that they all get logins and we think for the first attempt at a mapping "project" we are going to try to get the bicycle infrastructure in town (lanes). If anyone has trouble they can all get in touch with me and I can walk them through it. Unfortunately Internet went down as the meeting began and was sketchy the rest of the night.....

We had one attendee from "Outdoor Chattanooga". They promote outdoor activities around the tri-state area. Jenny Parks is going to check about holding an OSM event at Outdoor Chattanooga sometime shortly. Most importantly - Media (radio and newspaper). They have several outlets to spread the word. Bringing them into the mix gives us access to a lot of groups: cycling, hiking, canoeing, etc. They appear interested in - and here's where I get lost - building an "Outdoor Chattanooga" map. They don't have one. So from my limited experience in all this it would involve some sort of custom "mapnik" or something similar to OpenCycleMap. Which reminds me, I noticed before the meeting OpenCycleMap appears to have not updated in a month around Chattanooga.

Anyway,
So the trick is going to be meeting #2.

Randy

--