Perhaps Mike (or Ian) could document this setting on the wiki, and why it
should be used.

So is the JOSM default behavior correct for outside of the US?  Would it be
correct for most of the world to have the default changed, or do we really
just need a set of custom US settings that can be toggled on or loaded?
Perhaps some custom presets tool bars as well?

If it is something that JOSM should change or add, a bug report would be the
best action.  Pointing to the wiki entry as reference would probably help
and suggest revising the entry if the bug is fixed.

I would think that would cover both the immediate solution, and a long term
one.

--
Dale Puch