On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let's keep this more "brainstormy" and less "discuss-y and debate-y"
>> for now, okay?
>>
>> Trim and add your ideas to the list for your reply.  We'll come back
>> around for discussion later. ;-)
>>
>> A few of us were just asking on irc what a US-style tile theme would look
>> like?
>>
>> - distinguish divided highways
>> - distinguish toll roads
>> - deconflict trunk / tree colors
>> - Render shields at lower resolutions
>> - De-emphasize railways at lower zooms.
>> - Label motorways with both name and number where both are tagged
>> - Fewer road colors
>
> Richard, thanks for starting this conversation! It was good to hear
> everyone's ideas.
> I'd like to figure out a way to start working collaboratively on getting a
> style started. Has anyone tried to collaboratively work on a style file
> before? Is there anyone interested in working with on it with me? I was
> thinking about firing up a publicly-accessible Tilemill instance on a
> representative set of US data and going from there.
> Any other, better ideas?

Some of the ideas will be simpler to implement than others.  That
might mean that those ideas will be simpler to endlessly bikeshed as
well. ;-) For example, we could change road colors to address a few of
the ideas above.  But what should the final color combination be?  I
predict that there will be endless discussion on that.  If one of us
comes up with a
Super-Contextual-render-a-pub-at-z4-if-it-is-the-only-pub-in-the-hemishpere,
then I expect it will get used without question.

Also, I think we might want to prioritize some of these and see who
has the initiative and knowledge to tackle which ideas.

And I'd like to add "- show surface = values in some way, so I'm not
surprised by gravel roads."

There is a similar thread on talk-ca@ with similar requests from that
portion of the community.