On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

[ob on topic: It is awesome that geofabrik is making this debug layer
available outside of Europe!  Thank you!]

>> Try selecting both nodes and using "m" to merge them.  drag-select, m.
>>  One mouse gesture, one keypress.  Easy.
>
> A lot of times these overlapping ways are on county boundaries and share
> nodes with the border ways, making it very difficult to only select the
> nodes that belong to the highway=* ways.

Not in that cases I just tried.  I had two roads perpendicular to the
border and bisected by the border.  No border node on the scene.  If
there were, I would consider deleting the border node as long as it
doesn't wreck the border shape.  Then merge the nodes.

> Also, merging nodes doesn't merge the overlapping ways; when all the nodes
> are merged you still have two distinct ways that use the same nodes.

Not in the case I looked at.  Yes, undoing a duplicate import and
dupe-ways is a pain.  This is not that. ;-)