On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Nathan Edgars II <nerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/2012 10:24 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Florida's driver's manual says that crossing any double-white line is
>> prohibited.  You're confusing double white with single white.
>

> No, I'm not. And I agree with Mikel that this sort of reply is unproductive.

The fact that double yellow means "crossing the centerline markings
for passing is prohibited" and not "crossing the centerline markings
is prohibited" is quite significant.

You can, if it is safe and not otherwise prohibited, make a left turn
across a double yellow.  You can, if it is safe and not otherwise
prohibited, make a U-turn across a double yellow.

The only sense in which a double yellow prevents crossing "if there
are no intersections nearby", is if any place where someone might turn
is called an intersection.