I'm actually a little surprised that they did not decide to setup a second
DB (other than the need for a second server) and freeze one DB on the 1st
and remove the offending items from the second.  One would be read only for
say a month, and continue to provide usable maps.  The second would then be
open for editing but not mainstream use until it is felt the majority of
the damage was repaired.

Dale

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:14 AM, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:

> I don't think this has been reposted to talk-us yet. According to the
>> latest license change rebuild plan, the database will enter read-only
>> mode on March 27th for the license rebuild:
>> http://www.osmfoundation.org/**wiki/License/Rebuild_Plan<http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Rebuild_Plan>
>>

> It has been stated that it is a GOAL to "pull the plug" on April 1st. The
> Sword of Damocles wielded by the Powers That Be in OSM are under no
> hard-and-fast obligation to do so, they are just trying to reach a stated
> goal.
>
> If (as it is looking more and more to be true) that significant areas will
> disappear from the map, making routing and other important uses of these
> data seriously impaired, it is incumbent upon the Powers That Be to
> "declare failure" at reaching the stated goals.  Yes, this is
> disappointing, but it is true.  The only meaningful conclusion that can be
> reached is to "give the OSM community more time" and push back the April
> 1st (or March 27th) deadline.  (One month?  Three months?)
>
> Is this an eleventh hour request to do so?  Well, yes!  But every word of
> the above is true.
>
> The OSM community simply must have more time to complete these tasks. It
> is as simple as that.  Don't cripple an extremely useful and
> becoming-more-mainstream and rather popular tool with arbitrary and
> capricious dates on a calendar.  Plan and assess, yes, that has already
> happened, but now is the time to RE-assess, and reach the solemn conclusion
> that flipping the switch on significant data in barely a week is
> ill-advised at best, and will be a crippling body blow to the project at
> worst.  Perhaps one from which the project will not fully recover.
>
> Nobody asked me to say it, but I'm asking for three more months.  We can
> complete needed tasks by then.
>
> SteveA
> California

Dale Puch