At 2012-05-04 11:47, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:
>> From: Paul Johnson [mailto:ba...@ursamundi.org]
>> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Fresno castradal imports
>>
>> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:
>> More information isn't necessarily bad; I think it might be better to
>> try to refine the imported data over time if possible.
>
> To clean up http://maps.paulnorman.ca/imports/review/fresno.png I would
> start by deleting most of the data.

I fail to see the problem with what's already there.

> A couple of users, one local, have commented that the issues with the import
> make it difficult to edit in the area. I really can't see a way short of
> deleting it.

JOSM's filter plugin helps a lot, you know. ;o)

Not really. It doesn't solve the 50K object limit of the main API.

The mirrored-download plugin does solve that issue in that it will answer the request, but you still end up with an OSM XML file several times the size of a similar area without such data, and JOSM is slow to unusable in loading and many other functions, regardless of the filter, which only helps with rendering time, and not saves, finds, etc. Try to work with a 100MB file is JOSM (instead of a 10-20MB for the same area elsewhere) and you'll see what I mean.

Overpass API now has the potential for solving this particular problem (editing with JOSM) if we can get it implemented in JOSM downloader or mirrored download plugin, as long as someone doesn't start joining those landuses to other objects (e.g. highways), again.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>