On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Kevin Kenny <kken...@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> I'd be fine with trying to clean up unedited TIGER - or even a
> "horrible mess of half-deleted TIGER" - if the expectations of
> the results weren't quite so daunting.
[ ... ]

Larger cleanups can be imposing at first glance.  Other mappers will
understand that a single mapper can't do everything at once, so you
shouldn't be criticized if you fix a few things but not others.

> How do other mappers deal with the perfectionism that pervades the
> community?

"Treasure it"  :-)

Of course we may have as many different flavours of perfectionism as
we have mappers.  Some will have an unnatural interest in baseball
diamonds and others in bicycle amenities.  Each of those mappers might
consider the home range of the other to be "imperfect".  That
diversity is a strength of OSM, overall.

If you are finding it overwhelming to consider a large repair, start
with a few easy bits, or those bits that most-interest you. For
example, if the road network in your town is badly aligned, start
perhaps with fixing just the main street that bisects it.  Now, rather
than one large problem, you have two smaller problem areas, with a
good baseline between.  Then perhaps sub-divide it further into
manageable bites.

Back before we had good aerial imagery in my area, it seems that new
mappers popped up and started contributing when a framework of
arterial roads was mapped.  Those provided a boundary of
neighbourhoods for new mappers to adopt and map.  Perhaps you'll see
something similar.