On 7/23/2012 1:58 PM, Eric Wolf wrote:
Interestingly, in Phase 2 there were some structures that got changed
back to the initial state from GNIS. After a little digging, it was
noted that the first volunteer "fixed" incorrect information from the
GNIS import but then the second volunteer (during our volunteer quality
control process) changed it back, citing Google as the source.
Unfortunately, Google was reporting data they imported from GNIS but
didn't cite their source! Even within the very controlled setting of
Phase 2, volunteers contributing to the project acted in ways the USGS
had not anticipated.

Fascinating! I have noticed this when trying to research something that has moved - the original source of many Google hits is obviously the original GNIS data point. I have moved many churches and schools who outgrew their original location and rebuilt halfway across town.