Hi all,

I'm going to discuss this with the local NYC community (some of which
are on this list) but I'm going through NYC and I'm looking for things
that aren't right.

I've tried to do some nominatim queries and the results have been
frustrating at best.

Some of these appear to be TIGER related, some Nominatim related, but
the result is pretty awful.

Let's begin two symptoms, then we can drill down:

1. Brooklyn doesn't show up in Nomiminatim, at all. To put this in
context, Brooklyn is the most populated borough of NYC, with a
population of 2.5 million people, and it doesn't show up when doing a
search.

2. Manhattan shows up, twice, but only after places like Manhattan,
Montana. Manhattan is "New York, New York"- and the most densely
populated borough in New York. It's also major business and cultural
hub known around the world.

3. The other boroughs also show up twice, as islands and hamlets. This
is wrong, of course, but at least they show up on a search.

So, what comes up when you look for Manhattan are two place IDs:

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=3137519
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=520672

Those are two nodes, one claiming Manhattan is an island, the other
claiming it's a hamlet.

Perhaps we need a proper administrative boundry for the borough?

Brooklyn, I did find reference to in the NYC place ID:

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=128848728

But for some reason it didn't show up in the search!

Do we have a source for NYC administrative boundaries?

And what are boroughs in terms of "place"? I'm thinking county- though
that's not right. Certainly the populations should be added.

Thoughts?

- Serge