All,

This proposal is a good thing, provided that it does not deprecate current
tagging uses.

>From my experiences in emergency services (911), emergency management (FEMA
and State/County EMA), and location finding I find that it is often very
important to know what the colloquial core phrase of an address is.

A "Colloquial core phrase" is something we all use everyday.  We shorten
names down to a useful, but still meaningful, core.
If I were to say that I was at 14th and K, many of my DC friends would know
that I was at the intersection of 14 St NW and K St NW.
My friends who are not familiar with DC could guess the location given a
bit of prompting.

In easy cases it is easy to determine the "colloquial core phrase" of an
address.
Sometimes however, it is not easy to guess the correct local use for a
street name or address.

For instance my friends in Alpharetta, GA all know that North Point Mall
Blvd is not the North version of Point Mall Blvd, but instead is the Blvd
at North Point Mall.  My friends farther away from Alpharetta, GA probably
don't know this.

Additionally, many times I have seen St. Lo Dr. mangled by well intentioned
people into Street Lo Drive or once and a while into Street Lo Doctor.  Of
course Saint-Lô is is a well known place in France with a name derived from
Saint Laud.
Consider how often people mangle the intersection roads "Boulevard" and
"Boulevard Drive" in Atlanta, GA.  It is about even how well intentioned
people convert both names into one of the two valid choices.

Steven's proposal creates a mechanism for local knowledge and local
colloquial use to be added into OSM.  In turn this data, when present, will
allow people who interact with the public to better understand the intent
of the public in a more precise fashion.

The parsing steps move the bits that are not part of the core into well
known tags that can be unambiguously dealt with.
The unambiguous aspect is equally important as abbreviation usage is often
lossy.  For instance some US jurisdictions use BL as an abbreviation for
Boulevard and others use BL for Bluff.  (In the emergency services world
hilarity does not ensue).  If OSM had such names as "Braided Blanket Bluff"
in the proposed tagging scheme

If we were to use the proposal as additional tags to the current existing
tags people could add to OSM data to the limit of their local knowledge and
when they knew the common local usage could, correctly, completely and
unambiguously fill out the parsed tags that Steven has proposed.

C.