I'm wholeheartedly behind this effort as address data have long been an
interest.

So I just had a quick look at obtaining data for Arlington, VA. The data
(current as of May 2012) are available on CD for cost of reproduction
($125) and includes address points, plus parcels, zoning, flood control
zones, etc. The data are furnished in ArcGIS *personal* database format
ONLY. (I have access to ArcGIS, so could theoretically convert them.) The
data are copyrighted and Arlington County owns all rights to the data and
allows use "...as an acknowledged source to produce maps or analysis but
you may not redistribute, resell, or copy the data (except for back-up
purposes)."

Probably other jurisdictions out there that place similar conditions on
their data.

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." --
Einstein